Chapel of St. Nicholas, Killisnoo, c. 1898 (1986)

Wood Engraving
Dale DeArmond
Edition of 100
Edition of A/P: 10
Edition of P/P: 10

Paper type: Arches cover buff, a French made, all rag, neutral pH paper
Print size: 7 ½" x 9"
Image size: 5" x 6"

Hand pulled by the artist on an Ettan etching press at Juneau, Alaska, June, 1986.

In the 1870s the Northwest Trading Company opened a trading post and fish packing plant at Killisnoo, Alaska, a small island just off Admiralty Island. A whale station opened there in 1890. The people who came from the nearby villages to work at Killisnoo were members of the Greek Orthodox church (Russian Church). The Chapel of St. Nicholas, Protector of Mariners, was built in 1889. In 1930 the whole town, including the chapel, was destroyed by fire and all the people moved away.

Original price: $35.00